You couldn't be here if stars hadn't exploded.
To the question, “Why me?” the cosmos barely bothers to return the reply, “Why not?”
Atheist: Natural Morals, Real Meaning, Credible Truth

03 August, 2012

Free Speech and Feminism

Speaking Out Against Hate Directed at Women: Matt Dillahunty


"When someone expresses a concern that something is making them feel unwelcome, we need to address it. Period."

"When someone expresses a concern that something is making them feel unwelcome, we need to address it. Period."

"When you hear a complaint that someone has raised, you might think that they’re expressing an irrational, emotional, over-reaction to the situation. You might even be correct – but it doesn’t matter, and here’s why:
You don’t get to decide what someone else finds offensive.
You don’t get to decide what someone else finds uncomfortable, unwelcoming, disconcerting, stressful, harassing, troubling or painful."

I fully support Dillahunty's position here.  How to reconcile this with the value that no one has the right to not be offended?  (I'm just trying to process his words here)
  • Women are being excluded from the skeptical/atheist community by some ingrained and outdated attitudes that get expressed.  Mostly there is no intent to exclude but because of a lack of empathy, there is insensitivity to what is offensive, excluding, and threatening.
  • The community wants women involved and active.  Any who don't aren't really part of the community.
  • If I offend someone in the community who I want to ally with, then I need to understand why.  Not take offense that they took offense.
  • This doesn't mean my free speech rights are curtailed or have limits. 
  • It doesn't mean women have the right to not be offended.  
  • It means I need to re-look at what and how I say things.  Or reassess my membership in the community.
  • Is this censorship?  Not if it is an increase in understanding and knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment