You couldn't be here if stars hadn't exploded.
To the question, “Why me?” the cosmos barely bothers to return the reply, “Why not?”
Atheist: Natural Morals, Real Meaning, Credible Truth

04 June, 2011

Recollections of a Vagabonde: Riding on the TGV Train No. 9321 to Brussels, Belgium

Recollections of a Vagabonde: Riding on the TGV Train No. 9321 to Brussels, Belgium:
"fly44d said...
Despite being a pilot, I've always enjoyed riding trains! :-) Thanks for opening the memories."
I do like riding trains. Too bad there are so few good ones in this country. I'd like to see the California high speed line get built, but I bet it gets scrapped. Too little too late probably, I don't see our politicians having the will to get it done.
Trains... From East Pakistan (Bangladesh) to northern Norway to California. I am going to spew out some memories:
  • California Zephyr - riding in the observation dome.
  • Dacca to tea country and back - crowded with people hanging on everywhere. Very slow and rickety.
  • Oslo to Bodo Norway - seeing the sun not set one summer day, Bodo was as far north as we could get on the train.
  • Bonn to West Berlin - East German guards checking ID at the borders in the middle of the night
  • Frankfurt to Mainz - Traveling by myself for the first time in a country where I didn't speak the language
  • Malmo - Spent the night locked in the train station with some old women for safety

1 comment:

  1. Just read all your updates. Congratulation to Liz for her Master’s degree, that is not a small achievement. I was surprised to see my blog name when I looked at your blog, thanks. I took the train from Copenhagen to Malmo and can’t imagine why you were locked in the station… I am sad now because I found out an old friend went down in the North GA Mountains in a Beechcraft Bonanza – I had worked with him for years. Life can stop so fast….

    ReplyDelete