I do like riding trains. Too bad there are so few good ones in this country. I'd like to see the California high speed line get built, but I bet it gets scrapped. Too little too late probably, I don't see our politicians having the will to get it done.
Trains... From East Pakistan (Bangladesh) to northern Norway to California. I am going to spew out some memories:
- California Zephyr - riding in the observation dome.
- Dacca to tea country and back - crowded with people hanging on everywhere. Very slow and rickety.
- Oslo to Bodo Norway - seeing the sun not set one summer day, Bodo was as far north as we could get on the train.
- Bonn to West Berlin - East German guards checking ID at the borders in the middle of the night
- Frankfurt to Mainz - Traveling by myself for the first time in a country where I didn't speak the language
- Malmo - Spent the night locked in the train station with some old women for safety