You couldn't be here if stars hadn't exploded.
To the question, “Why me?” the cosmos barely bothers to return the reply, “Why not?”
Atheist: Natural Morals, Real Meaning, Credible Truth

25 April, 2011

Pascal's Wager

You two give me the same reason to believe which is called Pascal's Wager.  You are ok if you accept the gift and it is true, nothing to lose if it isn't.  Well, that isn't true.  I have a lot to lose if I accept and it is wrong.  I lose thousands of hours of my one and only life hoping/praying/working for a better life afterward, I lose the ability to make decisions for myself in order to follow dogma, I lose the ability to look at the world objectively and have to say "god did it", it would cost me my sense of awe, wonder and importance of this life, the one life I have, since  "god did it".  Prideful?  We are insignificant smears of carbon on an insignificant pebble around an insignificant star.  What pride is in that?  Pride is thinking that there is a god who has a plan for you out of this hugely massive universe.  That is some serious pride.  Have you read any of the links I sent you?  I watched the crap movie on ID.  Scripture means nothing to me other than a source of ridicule.  The other problem with Pascal's Wager is, which god is the right one?  The Jewish one?  The Muslim one?  The Christian one?  Which Christian one?  You gotta get it right, especially since the Muslim and Christian ones are mutually exclusive.  Rational thinking and evidence tells me there is no heaven, hell or god(s) and belief is a waste of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment